How to Relieve Back Pain with Chiropractic


How to make a complicated question simple?

First you must determine that the back pain is caused by a subluxation (more on this later). Back pain can also be caused by cancer, infections, tumours, or fractures. If it isn’t caused by these then you should be going to the Chiropractor for your back pain. We relieve back pain from Cambridge Ontario and the surrounding cities of Brantford, Guelph and Kitchener.

Our back pain therapy starts with an initial exam and is followed by a very specific adjustment to the spine.


Trying to simplify a complex issue (your spine):

Proper Position

Mitchell Chiropractic can help relieve back pain by looking for subluxations. The simple definition of a subluxation is a spinal bone out of proper position in relation to the bones above and below it decreasing the size of the spinal canal and it intervertebral foramen; placing pressure on the spinal cord and spinal nerves resulting in abnormal function, damage and pain.


Upright Posture

It’s a little more complex than that. 90% of our brain works to keeping us in an upright posture (the other 10% works all the other things). The vast majority of sensory information to our brain comes from the sensory receptors in our spine (muscles, ligaments, joints). When our spine is in proper alignment the brain receives the correct sensory information as to position and correctly sends messages to the muscles of the spine (particularly core muscles) to allow for proper movement.


Sensory Information

Subluxations cause abnormal or incorrect sensory information to go to our brain and as a result incorrect information to the muscles to properly stabilize our spines                 (garbage in - garbage out). If severe enough damage occurs pain can result. It should be noted that this process usually requires months or years to develop into painful or symptomatic episodes.  Your brain attempts to adapt to these abnormal sensory input and can do so for a period of time.


Chiropractic therapy will help relieve back pain by correcting subluxations to restore normal nerve function and health.


But, how?


Find the Subluxation

First is finding the subluxated spinal segment which doesn’t necessarily have to be in the painful area (remember adaptation). We call this being specific and requires a Chiropractic examination. In our Chiropractic office in Cambridge we take x-rays of your spine and measure them for precise accuracy.



Chiropractic Adjustment.  The adjustment is what makes Chiropractic treatment special.  The adjustment affects the sensory receptors in the spine which in turn elicits a motor response from the brain.  Over time and repetition this restores nerve function, spinal function and health. The thing about the Adjustment is its’ speed. 

  • Speed is essential to stimulate the sensory receptors to stimulate the brain.

  • Slow stretching doesn’t elicit this response. Research indicates an adjusting speed of at least 200ms is required. 

  • This is the art of Chiropractic and requires practice and experience.


Think well. Be well.

Now beyond the Chiropractic treatment aspect of helping back pain you must live a healthy lifestyle to maximize the Chiropractic benefit.  Eat well, drink water, be active and think well. We are very proud to say that our Chiropractic office in Cambridge Ontario has been answering the question “how to relieve back pain with chiropractic” and treating patients with back pain and so much more since 1989. We welcome new clients not only from Cambridge but also from Brantford, Guelph and Kitchener.

Please reach out to us if you would like a complimentary Initial exam to see if we can help you relieve your back pain.

Karen Mitchell